CD device name ? abcde

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Dec 26 18:52:02 UTC 2012

stan wrote:
> That doesn't work eithr. When I put a CD it gets mounted as follows:
>
> /dev/sdb1            732572000 105165860 627406140  15%
> /media/4852CCA352CC975A
>
> But when I run abcde -d /dev/sdb1 I get the following:
>
> cd-discid: /dev/sdb1: open: Permission denied
> [ERROR] abcde: CD could not be read. Perhaps there's no CD in the
> drive?
>
> Hmm,permission enied that is interestig:
>
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 17 2012-12-22 17:05 /dev/sdb1
>
> So, i am thinkling that I should be accessing it sing the group
> permisssion, so in /etc/group I put:
>
> disk:x:6:stan
>
> My user id is stan

Better don't do that. If you are a member of the group disk, you can
write directly to any disk, ignoring the permissions set by your file
systems. If you now start a malicious or buggy program it may overwrite
your harddisks, which is certainly not what you want.

I'm not sure what is wrong on your system, but unless things have
changed recently, the CD drive should be owned by root with group cdrom.
Are you sure that sdb1 is the CD? Usually CDs don't have partitions. It
looks more like a USB stick or memory card.

Nils