VPN client to MS server no workie...

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 19 09:53:30 UTC 2012

On 19 December 2012 09:43, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/2012 02:51 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 18 December 2012 22:17, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have a proxmox server there also, with it's own static IP address. You
>>> would think I could get it to work as a vpn server. I'm google/reading
>>> the
>>> howto's and it looks pretty horrifying... no one seems to agree on a nice
>>> step by step howto. It's just a server running Debian Squeeze and Proxmox
>>> for virtual VZ containers. It's getting less straight forward and more
>>> weird
>>> as I go. This is all relatively new to me, as I have never had the need
>>> do it before.
>>>

>> Could you just ssh into your server to achieve what you want?
>

> What I want to do is be attached to the office local network so I can admin
> the stinking router from here. As I attach more "features" I need more ports
> open, so I need to be able to use the router frontend to make the changes I
> need. Otherwise I wait days to make stuff happen. Not good for the impatient
> types like me. :) Ric

If you get in with
ssh -X ...
then you can run firefox (or whatever) from the ssh shell and the
effect is as if you were using FF on the remote machine, so you can
access the router from there.

Alternatively you could run desktop sharing over ssh using x11vnc
which can be initiated remotely with only the ssh port open.  I have
that setup on all my friends and relations that have Ubuntu so I can
get in easily and sort their problems out.

Colin