Installing Eclipse: From Ubuntu or from Eclipse Projects?

Oliver Ruebenacker curoli at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:27:00 UTC 2012

     Hello,

  There are two ways to install Eclipse: from Ubuntu via apt-get, or
from the Eclipse Project.

  In principle, I like using apt-get because it creates a launcher in
the menu (in XFCE, at least) and it checks automatically for updates.

  However, the version offered by Ubuntu is not the latest, and it is
sometimes broken (like, right now, after I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10,
it is unusable).

  So, I'm wondering what's the best way? Will Ubuntu support for
Eclipse improve? Are the problems Ubuntu-specific, or do they affect
other Linux dialects as well (e.g. Fedora)?

  Thanks!

     Take care
     Oliver

--