How to remove openjdk

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 03:56:42 UTC 2012

On 12/14/2012 09:46 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 12/14/2012 01:52 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

>>> Thanks,  Jim
>> It also corrects the alternative links, and adds some you may never
>> heard of. It's pretty thorough. But, I install alternatives-gtk to check
>> each and every link. Amazing just how many links there are in the
>> alternative scheme. You'll enjoy the trip. Ric
>>

> Maybe if I knew what the trip was about.  I'll admit my ignorance here,
> what are the "alternatives" you are referencing?

Ah... prepared to become enlightened! Within the /usr/lib/jvm scheme of
things related to java, there are a bunch of bin/ directories. But, you
path is usually confined to the standard /usr/bin /usr/local/bin
directories. Plus, when you upgrade your java package the directory that
those bin files are kept in, change with version number as part of the
directory name. SO!! You have the "alternatives" scheme to handle all of
those useful binary files that aren't in your usual path.

In /etc/alternatives you'll see a BUNCH of linked files, if you do an ls -la

You have the java command javac living in /usr/lib/jvm/jdk(+version)/bin
Alternatives will make a link between there to /usr/bin so that javac
can now be readily accessed. Alternatives can become screwed up in major
fashion when you do something like switch between OpenJDK and
OracleJava-JDK. Stuff can potentially be linked all over the damn places
without some sort of intervention. That link I gave you, as part of it's
script, with make all your Oracle Java links correctly for you.

So, that is why I recommend you check the links yourself, just to be
sure ...using alternatives-GTK, which is a nice little gui to admin your
alternatives settings. I usually find at least one mistake, although the
last time I found none. Best to be sure, while learning how your system
works. Alternatives also gets edited when you chose Firefox over Chrome
as your default browser, and other personal system choices, like editor
and email reader, and such.

So, to conclude our lesson, check this out:

ric at iam:/usr/bin$ ls -la java
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Dec  6 03:15 java -> /etc/alternatives/java
ric at iam:/etc/alternatives$ ls -la java
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Dec  6 03:15 java ->
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java

See? Install scripts can make changes in /etc/alternatives and then the
change becomes available in /usr/bin using the same link there while the
original target binary lives in a dynamic directory name structure.

I hope I made it clearer to you. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html