Can't do an update with sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade, pasting output in this message

William Scott Lockwood III vladinator at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 21:37:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 13 December 2012 23:11, James R McKenzie <jimmckenzie at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
> > For the record, no other update process was running.
> > Jims64BitLinuxMint13LapTop ~ # sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> Just for the record, for keeping everything up to date you should use
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Colin

While generally I agree with this advice, I wouldn't necessarily do that
with servers. Some things that are held back (like new kernels) are held
back for very good reasons. You should only use dist-upgrade if you're on a
workstation that you don't care about potentially blowing up, or on
machines you're testing/qa'ing on for eventual release to production.

--
W. Scott Lockwood III
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:  soap, ballot,