How to remove openjdk

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Fri Dec 14 15:43:24 UTC 2012

On 12/13/2012 09:23 PM, NoOp wrote:

 > On 12/13/2012 04:54 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
 >> I goofed. I installed jEdit on my new install of 12.04 before I
 >> installed Oracle's java.  jEdit pulled in openjdk which I don't want.
 >
 > You didn't say yes?

Yeah, I said yes, I foolishly didn't read through all the details.  If I
had read it I would have stopped the install, but I would have been
surprised also because I'm sure I have read that jEdit is not officially
supported on openjdk.

<snip>

 > As you can see, openjdk is the 'jre' version.
 >>
 >> What is the proper way to completely remove jEdit and openjdk so I can
 >> install Oracle's java and then jEdit just like I had never messed up in
 >> the first place?
 >
 > You don't need to uninstall it - you can install Oragle's Java & then
 > set the alternatives (sudo update-alternatives --config java) to point
 > to the java you wish to use.
 >
 > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java>
 >
 > But if you still wish to uninstall jedit & openjdk, why not just
purge them:

 > $ sudo apt-get purge jedit* openjdk-6* Java-wrappers* icedtea*

I knew purge was what was needed I just was unsure of the details to
follow it.

Thanks,  Jim