errors instaling virt-manager on 11.10

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Dec 12 12:28:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 02:56:11PM +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to install virt-manager on 11.10 on 64 bit machine
>  sudo aptitude install virt-manager
>
> here is where it stopped the install
>
> Processing triggers for python-support ...
>  libvirt-bin

Which means there was an important error message somewhere above this, a
message you did not include in this email.  It may be the same as the
one apt gets when it tries to recover, or it may be different.

> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
> Setting up libvirt-bin (0.9.2-4ubuntu15) ...
> useradd: cannot lock /etc/passwd; try again later.

Whoa.  What happened there?

  $ ls -l /etc/passwd*
  $ cat /proc/mounts

> adduser: `/usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/libvirt -g kvm -s /bin/false -u 118
> libvirt-qemu' returned error code 1. Exiting.
> dpkg: error processing libvirt-bin (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  libvirt-bin
>

> What should be done in this case to resolve it?

Figure out why useradd is broken on your system and fix that.

Marius Gedminas
--
Of course everyone knows that vim is the best text editor in the world. Anyone
who tells you differently is either wrong, lying, or criminally insane. (Or an