Twinview in 12.04

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Dec 11 16:03:00 UTC 2012

On 12/11/2012 09:10 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 11 December 2012 07:53, Ric Moore >
>> Install the correct video driver (not that nouveau crap) and then use nvidia
>> X-config settings to set the monitors, resolutions and then write it out to
>> /ect/X11/xorg.conf from the X Server Display tab. Logout and back in again.
>> Works a charm with 12.04. Ric
>
> I have to agree.
>
> Also note carefully what monitor connections you are using.

I have done all of the above.

I have tried 3 drivers.  The first one I used was the 1st one on the
list when I clicked on the additional drivers icon. Then I tried the
second on the list which was labeled "post release".  Finally I tried
the nouveau drivers.

The HP is a standard vga connection and the Hannspree is hdmi. I was
able to set both at 1920x1080 60hz using 10.04.

Right now 12.04 is unusable. When I boot to it I get a message that
there is no usable stored configuration and the HP has a black screen
and the Hannspree is very low res with no mouse cursor.

At this point I want to reinstall 12.04.  I boot from the install cd and
it sees that 10.04 and 12.04 are installed. (note they are on separate
HD's). I choose the option to format and install. It says everything
will be replaced and then asks if I want to continue. Maybe I am being
overly cautious, but at this point I canceled because I want to be sure
if I click continue I will be offered the clear option to install on the
12.04 disk. Is this the case?

Regards,  Jim