Alternatives to Unity

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 05:25:43 UTC 2012

On 12/10/2012 06:43 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/05/2012 08:52 PM, JD wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks, I really do miss the old gnome2 way of doing things.
>>>
>>> I would like to get rid of Unity and install gnome2.
>>>
>>> Since I am running 12.10, is this even possible?
>>>
>>> If yes, is gnome2 available for 12.10?
>>

>> I think you'll find xfce (or xubuntu) might be closer to what you are
>> looking for. All of the problems you noted don't happen with it. PLUS, you
>> can set it to use your mouse to switch to the next workspace by moving to
>> the screen edge. Gnome has always lacked that, but KDE had the feature. Now,
>> xfce has it and it's much lighter weight compared to KDE or gnome. I'm happy
>> as a clam. Ric
>
> i just noticed this.  I switched to xfce then a fresh install of
> xubuntu and have been mostly happy, and work essentially the same way
> as I did under gnome, just with different names for a few
> applications.
>
> With one exception: I don't like the feature just mentioned.  I'd like
> to stay on the same workspace until I click in the switcher.  I've
> turned off the "switch workspaces using the mouse wheel" but that
> doesn't fix it.
>
> So Ric, if you can turn it on, I presume you know how to turn it off.
> Give, please.

Sure thing Commander Kevin!

Just go into settings manager and uncheck the  window manager tweaks /
workspace / use mouse wheel
then check window manager tweaks / accessibility / use edge resistance
which is adjusted in window manager / advanced and set the slider better
than half way. Then you can still use the mouse but it will have more
resistance to switching. Or, from there switch it off. With enough
resistance, you will switch less easily, which is good.

I couldn't live without it, myself. I can still switch with the toolbar
desktop switcher, mouse wheel or keyboard keys as well. I got it all!

I'm KING OF THE WORLD! <cackles> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html