How to get a simpler (text only?) startup sequence?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Dec 9 16:56:39 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 04:42:57PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 9 December 2012 16:17, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > There are still the long delays caused by plymouth waiting for a
> > network that's not there (the hardwired interface) on my laptop.  What
> > I see is 20 seconds or so of nothing, then a dozen lines or so
> > of starting/stopping information, then:-
> >
> >     Waiting for network configuration
> >     Waiting for up to 60 more seconds for network configuration
> >
> > These are new, never used to happen, and add a couple of minutes or more
> > to the boot time.
>
> Do you have an obsolete entry in /etc/network/interfaces?

Well, yes and no.

There's an entry for the hardwired ethernet interface but I want to use
that when it *is* available.  When I'm at home I plug the laptop into my
LAN using the RJ-45.  The trouble is that when there isn't a cable
plugged in it still waits two minutes for the interface.

--
Chris Green