iptables

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 21:19:06 UTC 2012

On 12/08/2012 01:57 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 12/07/2012 05:53 PM, JD wrote:

>>> 1) "allow-hotplug" isn't used in Ubuntu, which uses "allow-auto" (or
>>> its shorter equivalent, "auto").
>> Thanx Tom, But, I did not add the "allow-hotplug"
>> So why is it there in the first place?
>>> 2) If you don't set "managed=true" in the "ifupdown" section of
>>> "/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/01ifupdown", NM won't manage a NIC
>>> defined in "/etc/network/interfaces".
>> But the file /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/01ifupdown
>> does  not even have
>> managed=false
>> and it comes from the full install.
>> So, why would it require the userto add
>> managed=true
>>
>> It seems to me that ubuntu truly is lacking in rubust NM and network
>> interfaces management software.
>> They user should NEVER have to edit these system files.
>> Much too dangerous and very prone to error.
>
> How so?? There is nothing simpler than a quick edit by hand, IF you
> have any notion of what you are doing. It's the lack of this
> knowledge, and reliance on mouse-pushing, that alienates to Olde Skool
> user.

Paleeeeze!!!
I have been a unix (BSD) user since the 70's
and Linux user since the 90's.

But I did that edit MANY TIMES!!!!
Wifi did not come up,
as evidenced by typing
iwconfig wlan0
and it kept showing as not associated.
I checked the passphrase many times, and it was indeed correct.

Actually, I would love to get rid of NM altogether and
write my own script to start wpa_supplicant.

When I tried to run it standalone (as it was not running),
It kept bitching about some ioctl failure, even though the args
and syntax are exactly as has always worked in fedora,
and I did check theman page on ubuntu - same syntax for
args specification, and wpa_supplicant.conf specification.

>> It should all be done by gui software with drop-down menus/choices
>> ...etc.
>> I am new to ubuntu, and I was hooping that it's system admin software
>> was not left
>> up to the user to edit such files, but rather to configure their content
>> via a
>> gui configuration tool.
>

> Kinda like Windows, eh?? As a pure desktop, there should be no reason
> to edit anything. But, if you want to get off into iptables, you're
> entering server land. At that point some edumacation is advized. Ric
Who cares what it is LIKE??? the plethora of scripts which hare so
poorly documented
makes it a very unreliable way to configure and admin anything unless
you have been
through it many many times with pointers from those who came before you.
This is not exactly the way to make ubuntu or any linux, "adoptable" by
the younger gen.

Please - enough about this. When I read a blurb about this mailing list
it said it was about technical topics and not discussions.