Odd machine behaviour

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 16:53:12 UTC 2012

On 12/08/2012 02:57 PM, compdoc wrote:

>> It was down to the disk failing
>
> If the drive is still connected, what does SMART say about the health of the
> drive? Any reallocated sectors?

Its SMART status was fine, smartmontools said it was OK, HDSentinel said
it was iffy & after the Lubuntu installer quit because of I/O errors, I
booted from a SystemRescue CD & analysed it. It reported that the LVM
partitions were OK but the boot sector was shot.

So it's in the bottom of a cardboard box marked "Spares" & I put another
PATA drive into the machine ready for when I get the chance to start
with it again.

If I ever get the chance (or am desperate) I'll re-format & re-label the
old drive & see how it goes. But to be honest, at £10 a go for a 80GB
drive, I doubt I will.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,