Installing cinnamon

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 02:38:16 UTC 2012

On 12/07/2012 07:21 PM, Steve Pearce wrote:
> On 08/12/12 02:08, JD wrote:
>> The cinnamon web page
>> https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan-dev/+archive/cinnamon-stable?field.series_filter=quantal
>>
>> asks the user to:
>> add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
>>
>> Which I did.So I thought that's all I need in order to proceed
>> and issue
>>
>> apt-get -y install cinnamon
>>
>> Well, it could not find it, and the web page does not elucidate
>> any further.
>>
> JD
>
> You added the cinnamon PPA, but forgot to update your package lists.
>
> Try:
>
>    sudo apt-get update
>    sudo apt-get install cinnamon
>
> I don't know much about Cinnamon, but I suspect it'll be available to
> select at the login screen as an alternative to Unity.
>
> stevepdp

I see. Should not the web page have explained that instead
of assuming every noob knows this?
Thanx.
I installed it, and I find I am unable to place the
panels on the right and left sides of the screen, as
Mate allows me to.
But Mate will not show the network icon so I can bring
up the wireless or reconfigure either the wired or the wireless.
... sigh ...

I submitted a comment about this to Mate under feeback.
We'll see if they bother to respond.

Perhaps someone will see this thread and tell me how to
bring back the wifi icon on the Mate desktop.

Cheers,

JD