Looks like the cups mailing list has died & I have a problem.

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Dec 7 01:47:59 UTC 2012

On Thursday 06 December 2012 20:42:41 JD did opine:

> On 12/06/2012 03:15 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > As many of you are aware, I have a small local network here at the
> > Heskett Ranchette, all hidden behind A NATing router, and all on the
> > same 192.168.xx. subnet.
> >
> > I have two printers connected to this machine, and both are marked as
> > shared in the localhost:631/printers configuration tree.
> >
> > RANT MODE ON:
> >
> > However, everytime the update-manager updates the cups installs on
> > these machines, I lose the printer sharing from the other 2 machines,
> > and typically spend quite a few hours screwing around before the
> > other two machines can manage to connect, and make use of these
> > printers.
> >
> > Looking at the help page in firefox, at
> > <http://localhost:631/help/network.html?TOPIC=Getting+Started&QUERY=>
> >
> > I have now tried to establish an http connection several times from
> > one of the other machines, at best getting an "empty print file"
> > message.
> >
> > So I switched to the ipp protocol but on that page whose link is
> > above, I see this:
> > ipp://ip-address-or-hostname/resource
> > ipp://ip-address-or-hostname/resource?option=value
> > ipp://ip-address-or-hostname/resource?option=value&option=value
> > ipp://ip-address-or-hostname:port-number/resource
> > ipp://ip-address-or-hostname:port-number/resource?option=value
> > ipp://ip-address-or-hostname:port-number/resource?option=value&option=
> > value
> >
> > But nowhere do I see a definition of what this "resource" is!  Is this
> > the printers name, same as I would use in an "lp -dBROTHEHL2140
> > filename" to print "filename" something from here on that printer, in
> > this case "BROTHEHL2140" or what?  FWIW, that name doesn't work, the
> > job times out. But the 4th one down,
> >
> > ipp://coyote.coyoye.den:631/BROTHEHL2140
> >
> > should Just Work(TM), but doesn't.
> >
> > I see now that on the 'client machines' Network Browsing is off. And
> > the web page setup at localhost:631 offers no way to enable it,
> > sucking about a 10-33 torr vacuum.
> >
> > So I added me to the admin list, and enabled Browsing.  IMNSHO if
> > browsing is turned off, then whyinhell does it waste 2 minutes, it
> > should tell the user/operator right then and there!
> >
> > To have something this difficult to setup be destroyed every time dkpg
> > touches cups is a genuine PIMA.
> >
> > Suggestions please, and really, I am not allergic to setting a sudo
> > chattr +i on these config files once I restore normal printer sharing
> > operations.
> >
> > Thanks for reading my rant.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Hi Gene,
> Are the printers connected to the lan directly (as via wired or
> wireless) connection?

Wired, usb ports on this box.  I found the problem, now we'll let cups have
a litter of elephants the next time it tries to update
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf, the immutable bit is now set on both machines. :)

> if not, then I do not think that you should use ipp protocol.
> Instead you need to use samba. Printer configuration lets you select
> samba as
> the protocol. However, the machines to which the printers are directly
> connected,
> need to configure samba correctly and share those printers properly. If
> they are
> windows machines, then they too should share the printer resource.
> On the clients that need to print to those machines, you use printer
> config tool
> from the administration menu (system->administration->printers) and be
> sure that when you add the printer, you select "Windows printer via
> SAMBA", and take it from there.
> Be sure that the firewall (if it is enabled) on the machines to which
> the printers
> are connected, allows traffic from the client machines.

Samba, since about 3.1 on up, has turned into a similar security nightmare,
so for most stuff I used to do with Samba, I now do with ssh and nfs.

I haven't tried to Samba mount a remote machine now in at least 2 years.

> Good luck,
>
> JD

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The unrecognized minister of propaganda,
		-- seen in an email from Ean Schuessler
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...