Looks like the cups mailing list has died & I have a problem.

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Dec 6 22:15:12 UTC 2012

Greetings all;

As many of you are aware, I have a small local network here at the Heskett
Ranchette, all hidden behind A NATing router, and all on the same
192.168.xx. subnet.

I have two printers connected to this machine, and both are marked as
shared in the localhost:631/printers configuration tree.

RANT MODE ON:

However, everytime the update-manager updates the cups installs on these
machines, I lose the printer sharing from the other 2 machines, and
typically spend quite a few hours screwing around before the other two
machines can manage to connect, and make use of these printers.

Looking at the help page in firefox, at
<http://localhost:631/help/network.html?TOPIC=Getting+Started&QUERY=>

I have now tried to establish an http connection several times from one of
the other machines, at best getting an "empty print file" message.

So I switched to the ipp protocol but on that page whose link is above, I
see this:
ipp://ip-address-or-hostname/resource
ipp://ip-address-or-hostname/resource?option=value
ipp://ip-address-or-hostname/resource?option=value&option=value
ipp://ip-address-or-hostname:port-number/resource
ipp://ip-address-or-hostname:port-number/resource?option=value
ipp://ip-address-or-hostname:port-number/resource?option=value&option=value

But nowhere do I see a definition of what this "resource" is!  Is this the
printers name, same as I would use in an "lp -dBROTHEHL2140 filename" to
print "filename" something from here on that printer, in this case
"BROTHEHL2140" or what?  FWIW, that name doesn't work, the job times out.
But the 4th one down,

ipp://coyote.coyoye.den:631/BROTHEHL2140

should Just Work(TM), but doesn't.

I see now that on the 'client machines' Network Browsing is off. And the
web page setup at localhost:631 offers no way to enable it, sucking about a
10-33 torr vacuum.

So I added me to the admin list, and enabled Browsing.  IMNSHO if browsing
is turned off, then whyinhell does it waste 2 minutes, it should tell the
user/operator right then and there!

To have something this difficult to setup be destroyed every time dkpg
touches cups is a genuine PIMA.

Suggestions please, and really, I am not allergic to setting a sudo chattr
+i on these config files once I restore normal printer sharing operations.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Many husbands go broke on the money their wives save on sales.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...