ATI Radeon 7000

Keith squeeze at winnetworks.com
Wed Dec 5 23:49:01 UTC 2012

On 06/12/12 06:47, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I'm contemplating installing 64 bit Ubuntu on a Poweredge 1850.
>
> I booted from the 12.04 Live CD & it ran pretty well. The only odd thing
> was that alt-ctrl-arrow-keys did not function for the workspace switcher
> which is a pretty major fault.
>
> I moved on to the 12.10 Live CD & Compiz had serious issues: apps
> wouldn't launch, Compiz repeatedly crashed & it was basically unusable.
>
> Upon subsequently Googling the problem, I saw that the Radeon drivers
> for 12.10 weren't available as yet but there was a kind of muddled
> consensus that 12.04 was OK.
>
> Whilst I realise that the 1850 is a server, I need a GUI for certain
> parts of this particular project so does anybody have any experience of
> running a Radeon 7000 card on the stock Unity release of 12.04 or is
> using a spin like LXDE or similar my best option?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Phil...

I tried a 7700 card (7750) with 12.04 and 12.10 64bit and it was not
good at all, the ATI drivers were worse as well. I ended up putting back
in a 6570 with 2GB ram and it was like different computer, worlds apart
(in a good way). Granted I was wanting to setup multi-screens (3
screens) which is a challenge in itself with Linux, but things just
worked so much better with the 6570 and NOT using the ATI drivers.

I think the 7000 is an older card as well? So that might cause some
issues, perhaps look at a different card.

Good luck!

Cheers
Keith