k3b problem or user problem

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Dec 2 06:04:29 UTC 2012

On Sunday 02 December 2012 00:49:14 Basil Chupin did opine:

> On 02/12/12 08:27, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I have now watched k3b burn 2 data cd's, starting with the new
> > project, renamed it, then add files until I had them all (and why
> > can't you add a dir & get all the files in it? Thats asinine) then
> > set it to verify the write, burned the cd, verified nominally 2
> > megabytes of data successfully, unloaded the cd, and on reload, it is
> > not recognized as media.
> >
> > I have a 98 pack left, but I'd druther figure out what it is I'm doing
> > wrong before I waste even more.
> >
> > Clues?  Apparently I could use some.
> >
> > Or is dvdwriter now the tool of choice for this? I saw it pop up once
> > when I had inserted the cd and closed the drawer.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> The first point: which version of k3b are you using? A few years ago
> there was a change in k3b from cdkit to cdrecord (or it was vice versa?)
> and as a result for a couple of month or so k3b was a basket case (and I
> created quite a number of coasters :-( as a result). The latest version
> of k3b is 2.0.2 and it is extra fine - no problems of any kind.

This is the 10.04.4 LTS, stuck at 2.0.0

> Re the "asinine" comment: use the "multisession mode" (in the Misc tab).
>
> Lastly, not all CDs/DVDs are created equal. If you want good results buy
> good quality CDs/DVDs and not does from Wal-Mart or your supermarket.
> There are only 2 brands of CDs/DVDs which use special dye and the discs
> are rated as being able to be still readable in 100 years time. One such
> brand is Verbatim - but make sure that the discs are made in either
> Japan or Taiwan or Singapore. I always check that my Verbatims are made
> in Singapore otherwise I don't buy them.
>
> BC

Humm, ISTR I did get these from Wallies.  Memorex.  Its a 50 mile round
trip to Staples where I might be able to get Verbatum.  Only 9 or 10 miles
to Wallies.

The first one I used from this 100 pack spindle Just Worked(TM) when I
burnt an ISO.

And this is crazy, 3 hours later, having reloaded the cd into the drive, I
suddenly have an icon on screen, so I fire up mc to go look, and what I
wrote is there now.

I saw a sig earlier today that said sometimes you get WYSIWYG and sometimes
you get WYSIWTF.  :D I agree completely.

Thanks Basil.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Mirrors should reflect a little before throwing back images.
		-- Jean Cocteau