Partitioning SDHC Card?

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 04:18:58 UTC 2012

The last time I paid attention there was a lot of voodoo involved in
formatting and partitioning SD cards without adversely impacting the
performance and life expectancy of the card.  It dealt with block sizes and
alignment of sectors, etc.  Aligning the file system with the underlying SD
card hardware, so that for a filesystem write doesn't require reading a
physical hardware block updating the last half of it, reading the next
hardware block and updating the first half of it.

Do we still need to worry about this sort of thing (if so please point me
to the appropriate incantations).  Or, have the standard tools gotten
smarter, so we don't have to worry about this stuff.

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
  --  Yogi Berra