APC UPS losing comm with 12.04: WORKAROUND

william drescher william at TechServSys.com
Fri Aug 31 14:32:59 UTC 2012

On 8/29/2012 11:09 AM, william drescher wrote:
> On 8/29/2012 9:54 AM, william drescher wrote:
>>
>> When I start up my recently updated ubuntu unix (now at 12.04)
>> all works just fine and apcupsd and multimon.cgi and apcaccess
>> report good data.  After about 30 min (rough guess) the system
>> console reports:
>>
>> Aug 28 14:33:13 ubuntu3 kernel: [98814.108038] hub 2-0:1.0:
>> unable to enumerate USB device on port 3
>>
>> and apaccess says status: COMMLOST
>>
>> The usb plugs are tight.
>> I did have this problem before I updated from 10.04LTS
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions on how to debug/fix this ?
>>
>> bill
>>

> In looking at the bugs, this problem seems to have been around on
> and off since 2009 (or earlier), but I can't figure out the
> current status/solutions
>
> 'bill

After reviewing the bug reports I tried the easy solution:
removing power from the computer for 5 minutes - not just
powering down, but shutting down and unplugging.  Worked just
fine - APCUPSD died sometime more than an hour after startup and
less than 24 hours but was manually restarted without problem.
bill