grub boot default with multiple ubuntu versions

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 27 14:20:18 UTC 2012

I have a dual boot system running 12.04 and Quantal on separate
partitions.  When I installed Quantal it became the default boot
option on startup as one would expect.  I booted into 12.04 and ran
sudo update-grub.  I am confident that when I have done this under
similar situations in the past (with older versions of Ubuntu) that
this would have resulted in 12.04 being the default boot option,  but
this is not the case, Quantal remains the default.

Is my memory correct as to what used to happen?  If so then I consider
this a bug.  I can't find anything on launchpad.

Colin