startx and AMD ATI m98L [Mobility Radeon HD 4850 imac] issues

Andrew PAxson paxsonsa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 22:29:57 UTC 2012

Hey Liam,

Thanks for your response!

First Answer:
Why I can't install you using the LiveCD?

Problem is when I use the LiveCD (or USB) somewhere in the Disc it tells it
to switch to the display port output. I think it has to do with the way
Apple connect or labels the Main Screen and Display Port. Unforntunately I
do not have a second monitor to check this but there is a bug report thats
been release (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/542660)
the bug is for imac i5 but I dont whether its an i5 or i7 makes a
difference. Seems to be a specific era of imacs too mostly late 2008 to mid
2010 that are effected.

As for the Second half! Lol I think you miss understood. I am using the
Alternate CD to install a OCmmand-Line System. Its the full ubuntu without
 the ubuntu desktop. So all I have to do is (in theory) is

[code] sudo apt-get install build-essential ubuntu-desktop
python-essential-properties [code]

Then just install the drivers!