startx and AMD ATI m98L [Mobility Radeon HD 4850 imac] issues

Andrew PAxson paxsonsa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 18:33:17 UTC 2012

Hey There

I am at my wits end. I have been trying to install ubuntu 12.04 for well
over two weeks onto my 27" iMac.

My System is:
27" iMac (Late 2009)
Intel i7 Core Processor
4 GB RAM
1 TB Hard Drive (50GB for Ubuntu and 350GB Shared Storage)
ATI Radeon HD 4850

The Problem:
Its been a grpahics nightmare. Not driver seems to do the trick and I feel
like I am missing some step. I have added the
radeon.modset=0 nomodeset to my grub I have tried installing the
proprietary drivers and the Catalyst (12.6-12.8) and so many other things.
I could use some support and figuring!
I even tried install 10.04 which work when I installed the Catalyst 12.6
produced a DE and GUI but the graphics were tearing and ghosting when I
move windows so I though updating to 12.04 would help. Nope.

NOTE: I can't install using the LiveCD so I have had to install the
Command-Line System and build the nesscary packages from their. MY steps
were
1. Install CMD Line
2.Install Updates
3. Install build-essential, pythong-essential-properties then Ubuntu Desktop
4. Then install driver and restart and pray

I hope someone can help me out!