Dell Vostro 3400 Laptop running ubuntu 11.10

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Tue Aug 21 07:18:52 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-21 08:56, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When i am in office, i usually connect my laptop to power source with
> battery connected. Will that degrade the batttery? Any best
> practices?
>
> Regards,
>
> Kaushal

More of a hardware related question imo, but okay...

Your battery is probably Lithium-ion, most laptop batteries are. That
type of battery stays best when it is sort of half-charged most of the
time. Then again every battery has a limited amount of charge-discharge
cycles that it can take, so you do not want to cycle it all the time.
Not to mention the hassle it would be to keep it not fully charged...
plug in, unplug, plug in, etc. When storing the laptop for a longer
period without using, it is good to have the battery not fully charged,
if possible.

So my advice is to just keep it connected and live with the fact that
all batteries will degrade over time. It may be prudent to buy a 2nd
battery if you are concerned your battery will degrade too much before
your laptop reaches its end of life.

But please check your manual. There are many many myths about
batteries, and many types of batteries. Usually the manual tells you
what is the best practice for your particular battery.

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman