Will I encounter problems installing? (Grub, Debian, Windows)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 17:21:34 UTC 2012

On 19 August 2012 18:14, Gary <listgj-ubuntu at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> On 19 August 2012 13:20, Gary <listgj-ubuntu at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> > I'm looking at installing Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit), but I already have Debian and MS Windows installations (dual boot, GRUB bootloader) on the system. I'm quite happy to (actually I would like to) kill off the Debian installation, but need to keep Windows. If I do a standard Ubuntu install will I get problems? If I need to do something special to avoid any problems, what should I do? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Should work fine.
>>
>> The newest, i.e. most-recently-installed, GRUB - Ubuntu's  - will take
>> over managing the boot sequence. Debian's will be inactivated but
>> Debian's GRUB menu entries will be added into Ubuntu's boot menu.
>
> Well I'm more concerned about the Windows partition(s) being picked up by the new GRUB to be honest, because I don't know how it is automatically set up when installing. Mine isn't a normal case, and I just want to be sure I don't get bitten by some odd use case that the developers hadn't thought of.

It's fine. It's a perfectly normal case and I have 3 or 4 PCs with
both DOS or Windows and 2, 3 or 4 Linux distros installed.

GRUB scans through all the partitions and bootsectors that it can and
puts all bootable OSs it can find into its menu.

I have found it to be unable to detect or add FreeBSD and PC-BSD, but
as long as you're talking just MS and Linux, you'll be fine.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884