Problems with repartitioning a HP Pavilion Laptop - PROBLEM SOLVED

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Sun Aug 19 03:37:40 UTC 2012

I am happy to report that I got Windows 7 and Linux to happily
dual-boot.  The problem was the crazy partitioning scheme that HP uses.
  They had the HD partitioned into 4 primary partitions.  There was a
small partition called HP-Tools that basically was just to be used as a
storage space for HP related stuff.  There was no executable files there
so I deleted the drive (partition) with windows leaving space where I
could create an extended partition.  I am happy to also report that at
least on this model, a Pavilion dv6, there is not UEFI as feared.

Thank you all for the good advice and particularly Liam Proven for the
advice on gparted and partitioning before installing Linux.  Also thank
you to NoOp for pointing out the problem with the partition called HP-Tools.

Bill Stanley