Problems with repartitioning a HP Pavilion Laptop

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 18 00:43:28 UTC 2012

On 2012/08/17 23:54 (GMT+0100) Liam Proven composed:

> Doug  wrote:

>>  Altho it is reported to be possible
>>  to install Linux first, you will have much less trouble if you install
>>  Windows first!

> Strongly agree!

Depends on when you measure the trouble, and how. Most people have to
re-install Windows at some point, but there's no reason that should force
reinstallation of Linux in order to install Windows first.
http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/install-doz-after.html

I rarely install Windows first, but I always do all partitioning before
installing anything anywhere. Windows is perfectly happy to use whatever
compatible partitioning you've chosen to do in advance.

The best way to avoid the most trouble in Multiboot with Windows is to *not*
put Grub on the MBR, and do make at least one primary partition Linux native
to put Grub on. Don't put Grub on the extended on a Windows system if you can
avoid it.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/