i386 means...32 bit?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Aug 17 15:48:34 UTC 2012

On Friday 17 August 2012 11:28:47 compdoc did opine:

> >I don't know anything about this "solid" type.
>
> Solid caps are the types with the metal housing, which most boards come
> with now:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/98e7wcn

Having replaced about a 3 pound coffee can full of those, worth over 20K
USD  over the lifetime of the DVC-PRO tape recorders at a small market tv
station where I was the CE for 18 years, the ONLY diff is that they are
small enough not to need the creases in the top for explosion venting, so
they just blow the whole can off when they fail short.  And their failure
rate from opens and ESR problems is probably 100x the rate in signal
circuits that the equivalent Nichicon suffers.  But they are also surface
mount, and the replacements must be nearly identical else they will not fit
in the available space.

They were a solution when making a good digital VCR into a shoebox sized
device, but they were NOT a good solution.  They were a headache, and many
many hours hunched over a big illuminated magnifying glass work lamp while
replacing the things, sometimes 50 or more per pcb board in all 20+ boards
in one of those machines.  In fact, the backache from that contributed to
my deciding to retire at 67, a year before I would have been able to
collect about 20% more from Social Security, the original Ponzi scheme.

Speaking as a tech, (I am a C.E.T.) working on my own stuff, when one of
those fails, screw it, go order another board.  If I never see another
between the tips of my soldering iron, it will be too soon.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Evil is that which one believes of others.  It is a sin to believe evil
of others, but it is seldom a mistake.
		-- H. L. Mencken