periodic upgrade

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Wed Aug 15 14:59:22 UTC 2012

Thufir,

On 15/08/2012 09:20, Thufir wrote:
> I have an older computer and a slowish connection.  How can I get apt to
> upgrade one package at a time?  Generally, if you upgrade it will
> download all the packages and then, once they're downloaded, upgrade.
>
> I suppose the other approach is to set apt to just download packages and
> then at a later date, once they're all downloaded, upgrade all the
> packages.  I've never been really clear on how to know when the packages
> are downloaded or what the next step is.
>

> https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/automatic-updates.html
>
> doesn't really make it clear, at least to me, how to set apt to simply
> download, and then how to know when it's done, and then how actually
> upgrade from what's been downloaded.
>
> I just went from 11.10 to 12.04 and don't relish upgrading all the
> packages in one go.

Not a good idea. There are dependencies. If you update a package and
there are dependencies on it... you could break whetever isn't updated
at the same time.

You probably could get away with downloading the packages one by one,
THEN, after some time, running the upgrade. Obviously, the Ubuntu
updater can do background downloads, so that when it tells you there are
updates, you can directly do the update with all the packages already
downloaded...

Gilles