periodic upgrade

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 15 09:16:07 UTC 2012

On 15 August 2012 10:12, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 15 August 2012 09:49, Thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 00:20:19 -0700, Thufir wrote:
>>

>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/automatic-updates.html
>>>
>>> doesn't really make it clear, at least to me, how to set apt to simply
>>> download, and then how to know when it's done, and then how actually
>>> upgrade from what's been downloaded.
>>

>> From aptitude man page:
>>
>>        -d, --download-only
>>            Download packages to the package cache as necessary, but do
>> not install or
>>            remove anything. By default, the package cache is stored in
>>            /var/cache/apt/archives.
>>
>>            This corresponds to the configuration option
>> Aptitude::CmdLine::Download-Only.
>>

>> however, what happens when --download-only is interrupted?  Does it need
>> to start over, or does it realize which ones were already downloaded?
>> There are lotsa packages.
>
> It will not re-download packages that have already been downloaded.
> You can safely interrupt a download.

Also, if you have more than one PC and a slow connection you might
like to look at squid-deb-proxy.  Install that on one machine and
install squid-deb-proxy-client on all machines (including the first
one).  Whenever you do any updates on any machine then make sure that
the first machine is switched on and it will cache downloaded files so
that when the same file is requested from another machine it will be
served locally rather than being downloaded again.

Colin