SSD root file system broken, recover?

Thomas Kaiser ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Mon Aug 13 18:48:07 UTC 2012

Hi

I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on a SSD. /root on the SSD, /home and /var
on the HDD. Today, the SSD (root) stopped working.

For a fast recovery, I installed Ubuntu 12.04 again on free space on the
HDD. Edited fstab to point to the old /home and /var.
Things looked normal after that, but all the additional software I
installed is missing.

All the .dep files form the updates (and application installs) I made
are still in /var/.... So, I assumed that launching the update manager
will reinstall the missing parts which were already downloaded and
available in /var. The update manager just told me the system is up to
date, but it's not.

What is the right way to get update-manager or apt to re-install the old
applications?

Or the other way around:
I installed the system files on a separate partition (HDD). How to get
the system files and all installed and updated applications back after
the system partition (HDD) crashed?

Thomas

PS: I keep backups from home and /etc.