Swap size on RAM upgrade

sam tygier samtygier at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 08:05:15 UTC 2012

On 10/08/12 01:09, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 19:39 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>> The way I understand swap, if there is no swap partition, and the kernel
>> requires swap, and freespace exists on the / filesystem, it will create and
>> use a swap file on the / filesystem.

Thats not a built in feature of the linux kernel, or anything I have heard of being enabled in any distro.

> This functionality appears to be in the swapspace package and does not
> appear to be installed by default.  Interesting concept.  It does appear
> to have enough knobs to keep a runaway process from consuming your disk.
> It would make initial system configuration easier.

Thats very interesting, a bit tricky to search for given the name, but i think this is it
http://pqxx.org/development/swapspace/
in ubuntu it is in the universe repo, so it can't be part of the default install.

also found this page, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq/ which has lots of useful wisdom.

sam