What the heck is vino_server?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 9 23:02:38 UTC 2012

On 08/07/2012 04:41 AM, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07.08.2012 10:57, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greets all;
>
>> I ask because I noted the machine was a bit slow, glanced at
>> gkrellm to see that cpu3 was pinned at 100%.  Switched to the htop
>> screen, and its been that way for 33 hours according to htop.
>
>> I sent it a sig_term, was ignored, so I sent it a sig_kill, it
>> died, and nothing else is complaining.
>
>> It has no manpages, so what exactly is this thing?  Some new kind
>> of a viri?
>
> Vino is the VNC server, which comes with GNOME. For more information,
> see https://live.gnome.org/Vino/ .

And:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers>
it's client is vinagre:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Clients
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Vinagre>

Be aware of this bug if you are running any version lower than
3.4.2-0ubuntu1.1. If so, see comment #10 on how to keep vino from
calling home. There are actually two url's, comment both of them out &
be sure to add localhost - otherwise vino will saturate your cpu:

> # Jorge Pereira
> # http://blog.jorgepereira.com.br/jorge/org.gnome.vino.Service.php
>
> # Jonh Wendell
> # http://www.bani.com.br/vino/vino.php
>
> http://localhost

OT Note to Mika: thanks for changing your OpenPGP sig :-)