What the heck is vino_server?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Aug 7 08:26:08 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 07 August 2012 04:12:50 Colin Law did opine:

> On 7 August 2012 08:57, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Greets all;
> >
> > I ask because I noted the machine was a bit slow, glanced at gkrellm
> > to see that cpu3 was pinned at 100%.  Switched to the htop screen,
> > and its been that way for 33 hours according to htop.
> >
> > I sent it a sig_term, was ignored, so I sent it a sig_kill, it died,
> > and nothing else is complaining.
> >
> > It has no manpages, so what exactly is this thing?  Some new kind of a
> > viri?
>
> Did you try google?  It is a vnc server, I think it is the default one
> Ubuntu uses for desktop sharing or whatever it is called.  I use
> x11vnc rather than the default.  Have you enabled desktop sharing?
>
> Colin

No, for those sorts of things I normally use an ssh -y login to the remote
machines, still on my local network behind a dd-wrt router.  I just used
synaptic to nuke it.  ISTR I looked at that option, couldn't figure out
what it might do for me, and turned it back off.  When I turned it on, it
popped up some sort of a box, for about 100 milliseconds.  When I couldn't
get it to repeat that so I might be able to read what it was trying to tell
me, I turned it back off.  If that is where it came from, that was an hour
ago, not the 33+ hours htop claimed.  That would roughly correspond to
sometime yesterday, and I wasn't putzing with it then.

In any event, if its no more stable than that, and the configuration script
can't handle it any better than that, good riddance.

Thanks for the info, Colin.

I might add an update to my mail sending problems I was fussing about.  It
appears that one of the recent updates to something fixed that, and my
rebooting it must have pulled in a new library or whatever, because that
problem is now gone.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A dwarf is passing out somewhere in Detroit!