2 different distros using same /home with same user

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 7 02:03:24 UTC 2012

On 07/08/12 06:33, Pongo Pan wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 15:42 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>>> Yes, I've done that, too.
>>>
>>> But from 2 different distros, sharing the same A/C & home dir? *That*
>>> was the question being asked here.
>> I doubt seriously that you could have Ubuntu and Fedora/Red Hat sharing
>> the same dot-config files. I wouldn't begin to try, it would all end up
>> in tears, there is no telling which is running what, and when. Your
>> machine would be doing the digital equivalent of "Who's on second?" :) Ric
> Whos on first, Whats on second.
>
> IMHO the easiest way to do this is a variation on what Ric does: have a
> small home for each distro or variant and a much larger common data area
> with things like Documents and Pictures that don't affect configurations
> symlinked to the homes.  I'd never call it /opt because that could cause
> conflicts and misunderstandings: /data works for me.  In these days of
> terabyte hard disks the additional overhead is minimal.

:-( which is exactly what I did last night but I put them onto the
second HDD inside a directory called Symlinked_folders and created
symlinks in my /home directory to point to
/data/Symlinked_folders/Downloads [etc] . Also placed in this /data
directory were my /.mozilla and /.thunderbird directories. Now I can
re-install and reformat my main system to my heart's content without
having to worry about my data files (only need to create the symlinks in
the new /home directory - but doing this is a piece of cake if you use
mc [Midnight Commander] :-) ).

And for all those fans of "Who's on first?" look here :-) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nti08LWtxJI&feature=related

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.5.0-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor