uname information.

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 6 06:01:49 UTC 2012

On 08/04/2012 06:58 PM, C de-Avillez wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 15:11:27 -0700
> NoOp <...
>> You might find these helpful:
>> <http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/uname.1.html>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel#Version_numbering>
>> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/FAQ>
>> <http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-versions.html>
>> <ttps://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/3.0.0-23.39>
>> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/3.0.0-23.39/+publishinghistory>
>> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+source/linux/3.0.0-23.39>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric_multiprocessing>
>
> Add in:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/Flavours (the list of kernel flavours per Ubuntu version).
>
> Also interesting is /proc/version_signature:
>
> ~$ cat /proc/version_signature
> Ubuntu 3.5.0-8.8-generic 3.5.0
> ~$
>
> First string is the distro, second is the kernel version string, third
> is the corresponding upstream (Linus' tree) kernel version. The two
> last are the most interesting, because they allow one to map the Ubuntu
> kernel into the base upstream kernel.

You probably want to add:

<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel.kernel.general/16418>
[Dropping i386 non-PAE as a supported kernel flavour in Precise Pangolin]

Any default 12.04+ installs will all have generic-pae kernels vs generic
ony kernels. I had to back one out and install the standard generic
kernel as the pae version broke one of my systems (well that and the
fact that nvidia-96 was/is no longer supported).