2 different distros using same /home with same user

Hazan Pérez hapk02 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 20:24:09 UTC 2012

El 04/08/12 15:01, Ric Moore escribió:
> On 08/04/2012 03:37 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 4 August 2012 20:31, Hazan Pérez <hapk02 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hey everyone,
>>>
>>> I have a laptop with Fedora installed in it, but I want to install
>>> Ubuntu on
>>> a new partition. I have a "regular" partition schema in that pc (one
>>> for /,
>>> another one for /home and the swap). I want to install Ubuntu on a new
>>> partition but I need to have access to my user's data in /home. I could
>>> simply use my user, with the same password, but I know for a fact
>>> that this
>>> would break my user's desktop config on BOTH distros... How can I do
>>> this,
>>> read/write access of my user's data, without f@#&!$) up my desktop
>>> config?
>>
>> You could have a normal home directory in the root Ubuntu partition
>> and then mount the original home partition at a mount point somewhere.
> Not good, when you consider that their config files could be in conflict.
>
> I mount /opt as a separate partition. Then I link Desktop, Video,
> Music, Documents, Pictures, etc to /opt/ric/ where they reside.
> The trick would be to keep personal files, not system specific files,
> on the other directory. Then, when it's dist-upgrade time, you get
> your new dot-config files upgraded and not lose your personal files.
> Just umount /opt before the dist-upgrade. I've been doing that for years.
>
> If you have a secondary hard drive it's even better, mounting that as
> /opt ...as in a failure you can reformat the / drive completely, and
> not lose your personal stuff. Just don't format the /opt
> partition/drive! Ric

I like this idea better, but I'd have to do all the linking manually :/

There should be a way to have a same user with different systems,
changing the .config directory for something like .config_ubuntu, same
with the files from the DE, but I guess that's just asking too much.

I'll do what you say, it's a bit more flexible that being stuck with
another DE.

--

Hazan Pérez C.
Twisto Creative