live forensics spin? advice?

William Scott Lockwood III vladinator at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 18:19:07 UTC 2012

On Apr 30, 2012 2:14 PM, "Dave Stevens" <geek at uniserve.com> wrote:

> A few months ago a client asked me to wipe a disk prior to disposing of
an unused windows box. I used DBAN and as far as I could see the erasure
worked fine.

> Now he wants me to try to recover the data ("No, I don't need a backup,
I've taken off all I want!") So I thought that since the unit isn't
connected to the internet and isn't likely to be any time soon, that I'd
try a live foresnics spin to see if any data is detectable. Does anyone
care to recommend one? Or have an opinion about how better to proceed?

> Dave

How was DBAN run on this? If you are able to recover any data at all, I
would very much like to know about it. Outside of electron microscopy, it
shouldn't be possible to recover anything if DBAN did it's job.