Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

Lawrence Houston ubuntu at greenfield.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 29 21:46:54 UTC 2012

Ubuntu Users:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Ric Moore wrote:

> On 04/29/2012 10:00 AM, Lawrence Houston wrote:

>>> Have you run computer janitor yet to clean up after the upgrade? Ric
>>
>> Just ran Computer Janitor, but I still can NOT run Unity in the 3D Mode.
>
> Right, that just cleaned up the left behind dead wood, so to speak, like old
> header files that impede installing the nVidia driver and confuse jockey. You
> should be able to crank up jockey to install your nvidia driver now. Let us
> know how it goes. Ric

The NVidia Driver installation appears to proceed as it did before
Computer Janitor had been run, although compiz is still generating segfaults:

kernel: [  392.909190] show_signal_msg: 36 callbacks suppressed
kernel: [  392.909198] compiz[1783]: segfault at b2283000 ip 023444c0 sp
         bff369f0 error 4 in libnvidia-glcore.so.295.40[10f3000+1bc0000]

And compiz.desktop is still reswawning too quickly:

gnome-session[1714]: WARNING: Application 'compiz.desktop' killed by signal
gnome-session[1714]: WARNING: App 'compiz.desktop' respawning too quickly
gnome-session[1714]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry....

Lawrence Houston  --  (ubuntu at greenfield.dyndns.org)