How to install separate home partition

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Apr 29 20:13:40 UTC 2012

On 04/29/2012 02:19 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 29 April 2012 19:07, Jim Byrnes<jf_byrnes at comcast.net>  wrote:

>>> When you were installing you should have told the first one to use
>>> sda6 with a mount point of /home and to format it.  When installing
>>> the second you should again have said to use sda6 as /home but /not/
>>> to format it.  Then it would have left it as it is.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>

>> Thanks Colin, I'm starting to reinstall now.  One more question.  After
>> installing Unbuntu and it comes time to pick a computer name and user name
>> while installing Xumbuntu do I use the same names used on the Ubuntu install
>> or does it even make a difference? The first time I used different ones.
>
> I am not sure that it will ask on second one.  If it does then if you
> want to use the same user on both (which should be safe I think) then
> use the same one.
>
> Did you realise that you can have both on the same install and choose
> at logon time which to use?  Install ubuntu then
> suso apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
> to install the extra stuff for the xubuntu window manager.  At least I
> think it is xubuntu-desktop.  Google should confirm that.  Then on the
> logon screen click the ubuntu icon by the user name and Lubuntu should
> be there aswell as ubuntu.
>
> Colin

Yes I realize that.  I've tried it in the past in a VM and the results
were less than satisfying.  I have the space so I decided to do a full
install of both.

Things went better this time following your advice but it seems like
Xubuntu still created it's own home.  After first installing Ubuntu and
before installing Xunbutu I put a txt file in both Home and Documents on
the Ubuntu side.  After installing Xubuntu and rebooting I can see that
/home is mounted but I cannot see either one of the txt files I created
in Unbutu.  Am I misunderstanding the concept of the shared /home? I
should be able to see the txt files from either OS, shouldn't I?

Thanks,  Jim