How to install separate home partition

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Apr 29 18:07:52 UTC 2012

On 04/29/2012 10:53 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 29 April 2012 16:37, Jim Byrnes<jf_byrnes at comcast.net>  wrote:
>> I've been reading here about the benefits of a separate home partition.
>> Since I wanted to put both Ubuntu 12.04 and Xunbutu 12.04 on my laptop I
>> decided to try a separate home partition. I booted from the Ubuntu install
>> CD and choose the Other choice from the installation options.
>>
>> I googled and found a how to to follow.
>>
>> I partitioned as follows:
>>
>> Primary - sda1 77GB ext4 mount point / for Ubuntu
>>
>> Extended:
>> sda6 77GB ext4 mount point /home  for home
>> sda7 77GB ext4                    for Xubuntu
>> sda  86GB free space
>> sda5 4GB swap
>>
>> I installed Ubuntu on sda1 and when it was done it did not recognize /home
>> as my home partition.  I did some more googling and fixed that. Then I
>> installed Xubuntu on sda7 and when I was done it did not recognize /home as
>> the home partition.
>>
>> Booted from Ubuntu and using the disk utility on sda6 I see /home mounted.
>> Booting from Xubuntu sda6 is not mounted. If I mount it it mounts at
>> /media/(what looks like a UUID).
>>
>> The how to I followed only put Ubuntu, home and swap on the disk. Is there
>> something else that needs to be done to add a second OS and share the home
>> partition? I want to start all over so could someone tell me what I did
>> wrong or point me to a reliable how to that covers my situation.
>
> When you were installing you should have told the first one to use
> sda6 with a mount point of /home and to format it.  When installing
> the second you should again have said to use sda6 as /home but /not/
> to format it.  Then it would have left it as it is.
>
> Colin

Thanks Colin, I'm starting to reinstall now.  One more question.  After
installing Unbuntu and it comes time to pick a computer name and user
name while installing Xumbuntu do I use the same names used on the
Ubuntu install or does it even make a difference? The first time I used
different ones.

Thanks,  Jim