Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Apr 29 06:45:06 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 01:49 -0300, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Samsul Maarif <mail at samsul.web.id> wrote:
> > Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> >>
> >> Seems it's too early to adopt 12.04 Precise.
> >
> > Just wait for 12.04.1 :P
> >

> ... at least, but then, if it weren't for the naive early adopters it
> would take much longer to address the worst bugs.
>
> Launchpad, right now, lists precisely 282 critical and high importance
> bugs for Precise, of a total of 659 open bugs and I still couldn't
> find a Language Setting bug that prevented me from enabling a
> different language for an user, which meant I had to scrap the whole
> new install (thank Zeus it was a new install and not an upgrade, I
> hate upgrades) and waste a couple of hours in the process.
>
> One has to be really innocent to install 12.04 in a production machine
> at this moment. Canonical should stop setting fixed intervals of six
> months between releases. Its a nice marketing strategy but with
> dubious results.
>
> Just my sour couple of cents.
----
the only way to identify some of the bugs is to get it out there where
there are large numbers of users with wide varieties of usage patterns
and hardware.

Bug reports are the proper mechanism to report issues and get resolution
and honestly, 300 or 700 bug reports are probably not a lot in the
greater scheme of things because there are probably a bunch of duplicate
bug reports and some that probably aren't even bugs at all. I think past
versions of newly released Windows or OSX have been shipped with
thousands of known bugs.

When someone refers to the installation on a 'production machine', that
assumes a common understanding of what constitutes a production machine.
If you have a critical need for a computer, then yes, it's probably a
good idea to wait a month or two before installing any newly released
OS, whether it is Linux, Windows, Macintosh. LTS means that you have a 5
year window so remaining on say 10.04 at this point is not a bad thing.

As for the fixed interval releases... Seems obvious that this has been a
successful tactic not only for Canonical/Ubuntu but also Fedora. The
reality is that there is no perfect timing for software that is
constantly being revised/improved/developed.

Craig

believed to be clean.