System Settings Missing in 12.04

Barry Premeaux bpremeaux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 22:44:30 UTC 2012

> It sounds like it is too late to try now, but did you keep an existing
> /home partition when you installed 12.04?  If so did you have Mint
> installed before that?  If so then I wonder whether you had some
> incompatible settings in your user directory.  Did you try creating a
> new user and seeing if it was ok then?

Yes, I retained my /home directory.  I just created a new user and logged
into that.  It come ups clean and appears as it should.  I see that it
retains a .gnome2 directory rather than creating a separate for Unity.
LinuxMint had created a separate hidden directory for Meta.

I am wondering if I can get away with renaming the old .gnome2 in my old
/home. Then log out and then back in and let it recreate it.  That works
with applications.  Never tried it with the desktop.