PID File

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 19:46:53 UTC 2012

On 27 April 2012 18:04, Kipton Moravec <kip at kdream.com> wrote:
> I am installing a program, and it has a PID file in /var/run
>
> It also looks like the start/stop for this application in /etc/init.d
> uses the pid file to start and stop the process.
>
> How do I find a number to use?

You don't. The pid is a "Process ID" and is generated on the fly by
the kernel. It's not like TCP ports where 'magic' numbers are
allocated and the SMTP is normally found on port 25., for example.

> I can't find a table of "standard" process identification numbers. (Like
> the one for TCP or UDP ports).

Because there isn't one.

> It looks like the maximum PID is 32767. So do I just go crazy and use
> something like 32000? Or are numbers <1000 available for this?

None of this is necessary, and it's impossible for you to specify a
specific pid to use for a process.

--
Steve