Fwd: How to remove GRUB

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Apr 27 16:05:47 UTC 2012

On 04/27/2012 10:13 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> Also requires a CD.  If I still have it, I don't know where it is. I'm
> pretty sure Dell does not supply the M$ CD, and GRUB won't boot the
> recovery partition that is on the machine, possibly because of
> repartitioning.

This usually works with most modern recovery partitions.  You'll need a
linux boot cd.

With a partition editor of your choice, mark your recovery partition as
the boot partition.

Install and old style dos mbr.  There is probably a mbr only utility now
that will do this, but I've always used Lilo (which is on my rescue CD)

lilo -M /dev/sda

*note* this will break grub.  If the rescue partition does not work, or
was not made to be bootable, this will render the system unbootable.