Still 32 bit recommendet

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 21:09:33 UTC 2012

On 04/26/2012 04:31 PM, Avi Schwartz wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:35:32 +0100, Steve Flynn
> <anothermindbomb at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 26 April 2012 13:18,<Lucas.Betschart at crypto.ch>  wrote:
>>> According the ubuntu.com webside (ubuntu.com/download/desktop) 32 bit
> is
>>> still the recommended architecture.
>>>
>>> I thought this will be 64bit in this release?
>>
>> Why would 64 bit be recommended? The 32 bit installation media will
>> work in all machines - the 64 bit version will not.
>
> When you have a ton of memory and want to use it all.
>
> Avi

...and have multicores that you want to spin fully wide open. When I had
2 gigs of memory, 32bit was just peachy. With 16 gigs I'd have to be
nuts to run 32bit. Memory is cheap nowadays. I'm poor as a churchmouse,
but I couldn't pass up the bargain. You'd be hard pressed to actually
buy a 32bit motherboard today. Not that you couldn't, but why would you?
Then for about $80 US extra, install 16 gigs of ram. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html