Restoring the old gnome desktop

Steven Davies-Morris sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Thu Apr 26 17:43:22 UTC 2012

On 04/26/2012 08:31 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:
> On 04/26/2012 02:39 AM, G. wrote:
>
> < snip >
>
>> And here I am in Gnome classic in 11.04.
>>
>> After you install gnome all you have to do is logout, choose gnmome
>> from the menu on the bottom, and log back in.
>>
>> garyk
>
> This is sort of the gnome classic but not exactly. I was hoping to
> restore my desktop to exactly like it was before the Unity takeover of
> my desktop. I really miss being able to right click on an app in the
> menu and being able place a launcher for that app on the desktop or on
> the panel bar on the top of the desktop. Also there doesn't seem to be a
> was of adding or removing apps from the preferences or administration
> menus like there was in Gnome 2. (example: I don't use bluetooth I want
> to remove it or at least hide it on the menu.) The Gnome classic is
> better than Unity but it isn't Gnome 2.
>
> < RANT ON >
> I just want to work efficiently! Changing the layout of the desktop
> ruins my work flow until I learn all the ins and outs. Just when I am
> comfortable with the new way of doing things, they change things. Using
> Linux is all about having choices, why not offer a true Gnome classic
> for all of us that don't want change just for the sake of changing. You
> could do internal things to improve the efficiency of the desktop
> without changing the look and feel. Unity does have its place on tablets
> or other devices with small screens. It just doesn't make sense on
> desktops with a big monitor. If this means that there are two types of
> desktops, so be it!
> <RANT OFF>
>
> Bill Stanley

Here's what you want. Links for the Maté Gnome 2 fork, which has come a
long way in 7 months. It's working well for me on several machines. It
can be acquired thus:

step 1
$wget -O install_mate.sh http://goo.gl/JoNRI

step 2
$chmod +x ./install_mate.sh

step 3
$./install_mate.sh

Or you can get a remix download CD with no Unity anywhere here:

step 1
$http://goo.gl/XwfMY

step 2
unzip, burn, boot, install.

Here's the long-version thread at ubuntuforums (26 pages on it, jump in
at about page 23 is my suggestion):

<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11333073>
--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net