how to script duplex printing

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 19 00:57:37 UTC 2012

On 04/18/2012 04:08 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I have a little script that makes Postscript from man pages.  I
> sometimes like to print these.  I used to use
>    manlp<something>  | lpr
> and it worked fine.  However, I now have a printer capable of
> duplexing, but to use that feature, I have to
>    manlp<something>  | ps2pdf><somewhere>
>    evince<somewhere>
> and tell the printer driver used by evince to duplex its output.
>
> Is there some way to script this, preferably in a single pipeline?

Here is my script for printing pdf files duplex for nautilus
without opening them.  I'm not sure this is what you were
looking for.  I have a separate script to run ps2pdf since I
don't necessarily want to print most of the files I turn
into pdfs.

#!/bin/bash
# print.sh
# print files from the right-click context menu in Nautilus
#place this script in ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts

# uses the default print

echo "$NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS" | while
read file
     do
          lpr -o sides=two-sided-long-edge "$file"
done
exit 0