Thunderbird Upgrade - Should I?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 16 18:11:15 UTC 2012

On 04/15/2012 06:25 AM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting a nagging message on Thunderbird telling me to upgrade to
> the latest version as the one I'm using will soon no longer be
> supported.  I've downloaded the tarball for 11.01 from Mozilla but I am
> filled with foreboding. Is it safe to install this over the top of my
> existing Thunderbird installation or am I likely to trash something
> and/or lose all my mail?
>
> Might it be safer to leave things alone until I decide to upgrade my
> entire system?  I'm using Ubuntu 10.4.

Ubuntu are doing users a disservice by not upgrading Thunderbird:
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=thunderbird>

Note that it is not only the 10.04 LTS that they've not upgraded, but
also natty (11.04 - which is still supported until October).

Were I you I'd file a bug report and demand an upgrade as Mozilla
stopped all support (including security patches) for TB 3.1 this month:

<http://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2012/01/31/using-thunderbird-3-1-its-time-for-a-change/>
<https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/upgrading-thunderbird-31>

TB 3.x isn't even on the 'Extended Support' downloads page:
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/organizations/all-esr.html>
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/organizations/index.html>

Personally, I've blown out all bits of "Ubuntu Mozilla" (Thunderbird,
SeaMonkey, Firefox, Lightning) and only run the tarballs from Mozilla
directly. That way I am certain to get all security patches, and
updates/upgrades at the same time the rest of the world does.

$ locate thunderbird-bin
/home/<user>/Thunderbird/thunderbird/thunderbird-bin
$ locate firefox-bin
/home/<user>/FirefoxNightly/firefox/firefox-bin
/home/<user>/firefox/firefox/firefox-bin
$ locate seamonkey-bin
/home/<user>/seamonkey/seamonkey/seamonkey-bin

Read
<https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/upgrading-thunderbird-31>
- particularly "1. Backup your Thunderbird Data" (you can skip step #2).
Extract to a home folder (e.g. 'thunderbird'), point your menu to the
thunderbird shell (not the thunderbird-bin - I only used that in the
locate example as it's easy to find/display):
/home/<user>/Thunderbird/thunderbird/thunderbird
and off you go.

[The recent debacle with Macintosh not updating their Java when the
security update was released in February, is an example of what can
happen when package maintainers sit on their thumbs & spin...]