Infrequently used printers

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Mon Apr 16 15:15:04 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-15 at 12:04 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> On 04/15/2012 10:49 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
> > My reasoning is that because a laser printer's toner is a dry powder
> > anyway, there's nothing to get dried out and cause the problems I'm
> > experiencing with the inkjet.
> >

> Your reasoning is very sound, and it would be a good idea.  My usual
> suggestion is to get a small B&W laser printer (Brothers work well for
> this task) and a color inkjet.  The Inkjet in this scenario would be
> rarely used, but is the most flexible.  However, they are not expected
> to be long lived devices.  The epson would be a bad choice here since
> the jets are not designed to be replaceable.  Something like an HP would
> be best for infrequent use, since the jets are replaced every time with
> the cartridge.
>
> But certainly, a colour laser would be maintenance free.

Thanks for the advice. What I might do is wait until the inkjet supplies
are getting used up, then see if I can investigate which laser supplies
are available in recycled versions, then see if I can get a printer to
match, that CUPS knows how to drive.

I've never bought anything other than genuine Epson ink for my printer
because of the harm it can potentially do but I'm again guessing that
because toner is a dry powder it's unlikely to do harm if recycled
supplies are used in a laser printer.

Brand name laser supplies are stupidly expensive, can be more than the
cost of the printer, so recycled toner cartridges would appear to me to
be a worthwhile chance to take. Again, is my reasoning on this point
correct please?

Dave