Upgrade Acrer Aspire 5100 to 11.04 and wireless card not working

stan stanb at panix.com
Sun Apr 15 22:39:09 UTC 2012

I upgraded my Acer Aspire 5100 to 11.04, and the wireless network card,
which "just wrked" in the older version of Ubuntu no longer works. ifconfig
-a does not show any evidence of it.

I found this article:

And played arounda bit based on it. Therre is a difrence with the way
things are on my mahcine. The results of "lshw -C network" show my card as
Unclaimed:

root at ssmokey:~# lshw -C network
  *-network UNCLAIMED
  product: BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN

I did go ahead and remove the module mentioned in that article with:

rmmod -f acer-wmi

But it still shows as unclaimed.

What can I do to mke this work. Supidly I did this just before I have to
take a trip out of town, and need this amchine to work (of course(.

Thanks for any advice on this